How CaptionCall Works
Telephone captioning transcribes your phone calls so you can read and understand every detail.
Make or answer a call as usual with CaptionCall.
A CaptionCall captioning agent and automated speech recognition transcribes what the other person says.
You read the conversation — you can save the captions, too!
Why phone captioning is important
- Trouble hearing on the phone is common, even with hearing aids
- Regular phones make it hard to distinguish speech tones
- Phone calls have no visual cues to support understanding
- People with hearing loss can lose the benefits of social interaction
- CaptionCall can help people stay connected with life
How CaptionCall does captions right
- Captions add visual support to what you hear
- Agents help improve caption accuracy along with computer voice recognition
- CaptionCall has traditional and mobile phone captioning options
Will the CaptionCall phone work with my hearing aids?
Yes. You can pair wireless hearing aids with both a landline CaptionCall phone and with your mobile phone to stream audio. The CaptionCall phone or CaptionCall Mobile App displays captions of what you hear.
Can I use the CaptionCall phone to call 911 in case of emergency?
Yes. Dialing 911 will connect you with emergency services just like any phone. Be aware that the captioning will not work on a CaptionCall landline phone if the power is out (you can still make an audio call). When using CaptionCall Mobile, emergency services will use the address you provide at setup as your location. Click here for more information about emergency calls.
Can I keep the same phone number?
A traditional CaptionCall phone uses your existing landline phone. The CaptionCall Mobile App assigns you a new mobile number; most people forward their existing mobile number to use the app.
Will using CaptionCall increase my monthly phone bill?
No. Telephone captioning is a no-cost ADA service the government provides to people with hearing loss who have trouble communicating on the phone.
Can I still use the other phones in my home?
Yes. Every other phone will work as usual. The captioning service requires a landline CaptionCall phone or the CaptionCall Mobile App.