Have you been staying safe this hurricane season? With all the natural disasters lately it may feel like a scary time. Navigating these scenarios can be even more difficult with hearing loss. So what can someone with hearing loss do to prepare for such an emergency? Well the Hearing Health Foundation has an emergency preparedness guide we think you’ll appreciate:
- Stock up on the basics and know your power sources
- For hearing aids, it’s recommended to have a month’s worth of batteries on hand
- For cochlear implants, consider using a portable battery charger
- Get an Emergency contact list
- Keep your hearing care provider’s number on hand or the hearing aid company in case the device needs to be repaired.
- For those who live in urban areas, contact your city’s Mayor’s Office for People with Disabilities (MOPD) to inquire for emergency services and alerts; services vary greatly by city.
- Communication with authorities and loved ones
- Keep one or two friends close by so that you can check up on each other and stay safe.
- If possible use social media to check in.
- Check to see if reverse 911 is available in your community. If it is, they will call you in an emergency to make sure you know what is going on and how to be safe.
- Emergency alerts
- Many places offer free visual fire alarms. If possible take advantage of these great resource!
- Sign up for weather and other emergency alerts through The Emergency Email & Wireless Network at emergencyemail.org.
Do what you must to keep yourself and your family safe, utilize these resources so you can be prepared in case you are faced with an emergency.
CaptionCall is an ambassador for hearing health and an advocate for people with hearing loss. CaptionCall encourages people everywhere to actively manage their hearing health through regular hearing evaluations, and to seek early treatment when hearing loss is identified. CaptionCall is committed to helping people with hearing loss stay socially engaged for a longer, happier, healthier life.
Written By John Apgar, Marketing Coordinator